As an educator, I am a facilitator of learning and a mentor. My goal is to inspire students to discover and master their potential, grow as human beings, and most importantly to learn to think for themselves through inclusive and meaningful studio experimentation. My pedagogical approach combines abstract principles with design thinking and the process of doing, because I believe the process is as important as the result. This heuristic approach is designed to help students overcome fear and self-consciousness by letting go of the outcome, and to develop critical thinking that reveals hidden or intended/unintended meanings in addition to superficial observations...
Download teaching philosophy full text
Key accomplishments — Fall 2015 to present:
- Exhibited interactive art installation, new work: Resonate with stillness, experience light, one-person show Steckline Gallery, mixed media: gold leaf, woven side illuminated fiber optics, microprocessor controlled LEDs, and sensors.
- Created performative drawings performed live with WSUs IPG. Written in Processing 3, an open source JAVA library for visual artists.
- Art directed and managed mission-driven service projects: Catholic Charities direct mail appeals, admissions recruitment assets, and advertising assets for the Art and Theater Programs. Impact: Work was well received and students were exposed to collaborative, professional experiences.
- Revamped curriculum to include code as a medium, generative animation, design thinking, data visualization, and user experience. Begins academic year 2018-2019.
- Designed and created new curricula adopting open-source software libraries for graphic and interactive experiences. Impact: students are better prepared to meet the job requirements of local businesses or to continue to graduate school.
- Implemented Looking Outward to expose students to the world of art and design: off-campus and guest lectures, art museums/gallery visits, networking for internship and job opportunities. Impact: first exposure to a museum, invitation to shadow for a day at design firm.
- Reorganized the design program course rotation to encourage a strong foundation in design, development of a personal creative process, and engender critical thinking prior to advanced topics requiring in-depth research and independent study. Began academic year 2017-2018.
- Wrote program prioritization, self-assessment and self-study documents to analyze and improve the Art Program, the driving force behind design and digital art curriculum changes.
- Participated in a successful HLC visit, results: all criteria met, no sanctions recommended, pathway recommended: “Eligible to Choose,” no interim monitoring recommended.